Friday, January 26, 2007

Not Yet

My heart sank when I read an article about a cancer patient who seemed to have come into terms with her impending death.

Karen Wernecke, a 14-year-old girl from Texas, has been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s disease two years ago. She has already undergone several types of treatments, both traditional and non traditional ones. The cancer has seemed to disappear thereafter, but it has recently come out again.

After learning of the cancer’s reappearance, she wrote a school paper about a girl named Hope who was also suffering from a life-threatening illness. In the story, Hope has already resigned herself to her fate to meet death prematurely and has written her parents about her thoughts on her coming demise.

Wernecke is still undergoing treatment. Although her cancer rebounded strongly, I still believe that it would eventually subside. It has to. I don’t want to see her death records, at least not this early. I believe in miracles. I’m sure everybody’s wishing one for her.

No comments: