Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Wedding Bell Jitters

My cousin flew in from Chicago to visit a relative of ours who’s expecting to give birth anytime this month. Philip is a doctor, and is currently training to become an anesthesiologist.

We had a good long talk yesterday. I asked him how his girlfriend is doing, and he said the she’s been having her mood swings lately.

Lina and Philip had been a couple for almost 4 years already. I always ask Philip on when he’s going to propose. He always says “soon.” Well, I’ve been getting that answer for almost 4 years now. Talk about redefining the word “soon.”

I asked him the same question again yesterday. This time, I got a different answer. It seems that the reason why he doesn’t want to get married is that he’s afraid that they might end up getting divorced in the future. I told him that that’s not the general rule, and that many couples end up parting ways because they didn’t try to understand, analyze, or anticipate the problem.

I don’t know if I was able to convince him that majority of all marriages in America doesn’t end up in divorce. I told him that if he’s really afraid of messing things up once they got married, then he should anticipate every problem that would most likely lead to divorce. He could do this by checking out the divorce records of others in order to learn from their mistakes.

No comments: