Friday, November 24, 2006

Former Russian Spy Dies

I was quite surprised to hear that former Russian spy, Alexander Litvinenko, died from poisoning. Litvinenko has fled the former communist state for fear that he would be killed because of the disclosures that he had made against his former bosses.

Yesterday’s headline about his death would not have shocked me if the alleged murder happened 20 years ago when the former Stalinist state still had an iron grip on its citizens. But Russia is now a democracy, and its once feared KGB has already been decimated due to lack of funding.

Although the London hospital where Litvinenko was confined said that he died due to poisoning, some doctors and analysts claim that the cause of death has not yet been conclusively determined. I haven’t read the latest news on the issue yet. Maybe they have already determined the cause. I might have to check his death records online to verify if he has indeed died of poisoning, or of some other cause.

No comments: