Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Mere Placebos?

If you’re one of those who believe that food supplements increase longevity, then you might want to brace yourself from the study that some experts recently published on the supposed benefits of certain antioxidant vitamins.

The research, published in the latest issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, revealed that no significant effects, whether positive or negative, were found in persons taking Vitamin A, E, and C supplements. Some of the participants ended up dying due to causes which supposedly could’ve been prevented by the health enhancers.

I don’t know what’s your take on the report, but I’m a little bit skeptical about it. My medicine cabinet is replete with band aids and iodine, but it’s definitely lacking on food supplement bottles. However, this doesn’t mean that I don’t believe that vitamin tabs or capsules won’t contribute anything to my health. On the contrary, I believe they’re essential at this day and age where everything is cooked and served fast. Where else could you get your daily doze of vitamins if cheeseburgers are always on your daily menu?

I’m religiously taking Vitamin E capsules to supplement my delicious but unhealthy meals. I don’t know if it’s working. Maybe it is. But, then again, maybe I’m just deceiving myself. Maybe it’s nothing more than a placebo.

Many experts doubt the reliability of the study. Indeed, it’s already an established medical fact that food supplements could definitely breathe life to your failing health even if the bottle contains the warning “no proven therapeutic effects.”

If the new study’s findings are true, then there’s no reason why people should continue spending thousands of dollars on supplements which they believe could delay the issuance or processing of their death records. An independent panel should investigate the report to settle once and for all the issue on whether or not food supplements positively affect the health of those who are taking it.

No comments: