Wednesday, March 07, 2007

As Real As It Can Get

I don’t have a definite or official statistic on this one, but I think that adoption records have been piling up on government registries for the past few years. Could it be that many American couples are now open to creating a family through adoption?

Of course, every couple would definitely prefer to have their own child. While you could also call your adopted child as “your own,” the concept is more biological than legal. Nothing beats having kids that have your facial features or temperament. Unfortunately, not all would be able to experience this. Some couples may suffer from medical conditions that would prohibit them from having a child. Some may be completely healthy, but for some reason cannot conceive a child.

It’s ironic that those who are fully capable of conceiving children are the ones backing out from the opportunity. I can’t blame then, though. Corporate America demands much from its citizen. You won’t be able to make it to the top if you don’t start early. As a result, many young couples decide to shelve any plan to have a baby. By the time they think they’re financially ready to support a child, their bodies may not be capable of responding favorably to their intention already.

I think this is one of the reasons why adoptions are getting common. Couples who previously thought that they should be working during their primes are now trying to catch up on what they should’ve done a few years back. There will be some who would not be able to get back what they have abandoned or neglected when they were still young. The ability to conceive is not eternal, you know. The next best thing then is to adopt.

I think this trend would benefit the society more. I mean, there are many kids out there that need a new family. I hope that those kids would be able to experience what it is like to have loving parents.

No comments: